RENEW YOUR DRIVER’S LICENSE, SOONER RATHER THAN LATER.
Get ahead – Gauteng residents can wait up to 4 months to secure an appointment to renew their driver’s license. No appointment = no renewal.
If you do not have a valid driver’s license, you can face fines, but more importantly, insurance companies will not cover motorists driving with an expired license.
7 ESSENTIAL STEPS TO ENSURE YOU ARE COVERED BY YOUR INSURANCE PROVIDER
1. Book online with https://online.natis.gov.za/#/. Often the system is down, or you may find no time slots available. You need to simply persist and revisit the site often until you secure a time slot.
Note you must show up in person.
2. Get your eyes tested with a registered optometrist who will provide you with a certificate. Make sure the details on the certificate correspond accurately with the details on your existing license card.
3. Prepare your documentation.
a. 4 black and white id photos (some licensing centres request 2, but in my experience be better prepared.)
b. Proof of residence (no older than 3 months at the date of your appointment)
c. Eye test
d. A copy of your current identity document
4. Draw cash. Although most licensing departments indicate they accept debit card payments you may find their system down. It costs around, R 174.00 to renew your license. (Fees differ from one licensing office to another.)
5. It would be wise to secure a temporary license in case there is a delay or admin error receiving your new license card. A temporary license costs approximately R 74.00. (Fees differ from one licensing office to another.)
6. Show up early and be prepared to wait. Consider scheduling your appointment at the same time as a work colleague or friend and use the time to catch up.
7. And then note it can take 4 – 6 weeks before your license is ready for collection. It is easier to show up in person, although you can provide an affidavit to nominate someone else to collect on your behalf.
Check the expiry date on your license card now, and diarise your renewal ordeal 4 months prior to the expiry date.